Tanning vs Skin Care

Sunday, May 4, 2014

So, I have finally finished everything off in school, with a 4.0 I might add. Now I have tons of time to do other stuff on my list this summer. For example, I would love to go on a really long vacation, read a book, or sit in the sun and get a tan. 

I'm going to be honest with you, I never tan; I only turn red, so it is a dream of mine that I will turn golden brown. However, I think that some people go overboard with the whole "tanning" aspect of summer. I know that turning a different color for a few months is fabulous, but I think that sometimes you forget how bad excessive tanning can really be for a young person. I love a good bout of Vitamin D as much as the next person, but I think you need to be a little cautious. 
Whenever I go outside, I always put on sun block. I kid you not, if I'm taking a long drive, I'll put on some lotion to keep myself from burning on my arms and face (I burn easily). Too much sun exposure can really damage the skin, and I know that some might say that it isn't that big of a deal, but it has the potential of being one. 
Now I'm sure that time and time again, you have heard "tanning can cause cancer," and you think, everything causes cancer, so why should I stop? 
Source
The picture above is of a female under normal light (left) and ultraviolet light (right). Those spots are damage to the skin due to excessive sun exposure. I have had this same light put towards my skin, and I have seen how much damage the sun has caused me. 
I see someone for hair removal. I do, what is known as, electrolysis hair removal. A very thin needle is poked into the skin, and the current from the needle burns off the lower region of the follicle. The hair there ceases to grow back after being worked on a few times. I haven't had to touch my eyebrows since about junior year of high school (just a little touch up here and there). Anyways, the person I go to Liza works wonders with my face. I also go to her for my facials. I like to have them done just for maintenance on my face. It's usually always clear, but when it starts to get really oily, or I get lots of blackheads, I like to go to her to "beautify" my appearance! She is honestly one of the best people to go to when in need of a facial, or having permanent skin removal! She knows exactly what she's doing, and has had years of schooling and training. 
During the treatment, she does a look over of my face. One of the methods is looking at my face, neck, and shoulders under the ultraviolet light. My shoulders usually have the most skin damage, but my neck and face are relatively unscathed. Whenever I want to tan outside, I usually put a towel or something to protect me, on my face, to keep it from getting burned. 
I think it would be presumptuous to assume everyone will stop tanning in a tanning bed, or lay out on the beach for 12 hours straight, but it would be wise to take precautionary measures to help your skin, and your body from withering as you get older. There are a ton of health risks that go with overexposure to sun; some being, but are not limited to: skin caner, wrinkles, freckles, a discoloration of certain areas on the body, etc.  
Now once again, I know there are so many things in this world that cause a certain illness to the body, but here is something to think about: Do you really want to look like you're 40 at the age of 25-30? Prolonged sun exposure does make a person look a lot older. It doesn't look very attractive, as you age either. 
I would say to keep these precautionary measures in mind when sun bathing, or tanning in a bed:
  • Sunscreen! Sunscreen! Sunscreen! 
    • I know you don't think you will get a tan if you apply sunscreen, but you will, trust me!
    • Make sure to apply the sunscreen once every hour to keep it on there.
  • Use a High SPF for your sunscreen! 
    • I would recommend SPF 60 or SPF 70.  It will protect your skin from serious damage, and give you a nice brown appearance.
  • Protect the face!!
    • Your face is really valuable, and the skin there is very thin (especially around the eyelid). I know when I die, I'm going to want my face as beautiful and glowing as it was when I was alive. 
    • Make sure to use a thicker cream base for the face, and wear a hat! I wear those big ones that keep the sun out of my face from all ends!
    • A hat can really help your scalp too! Getting burned on your scalp can really hurt (Ouch!)

  • Hydrate your skin!
    • After you are done soaking your skin in the sun, make sure to put some aloe, or a cream to hydrate your skin! 
    • There are some lotions that hydrate, and give a nice glow to the skin. It keeps a lasting tan on the body for a few weeks if you use it consistently!
I think it is important to always be aware of the risks certain activities can cause, like tanning. The sun is still a great source of Vitamin D, and it is always good to soak up as much of it as you can. Nonetheless, it is wise to know all the facts and be safe when doing it! I hope you have a lovely Sunday, and go outside for a bit! The sun is shining, and there are always new adventures to explore!

~Alhana 

When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.
-Wilma Rudolph
 

 photo sig_zpsekkwuhkv.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply