The Water Crisis (How desperate are you for water?)

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Source

Why is it we always want what we can't have? It's human nature to feel a sense of need once something becomes a rare commodity. Today, water is the commodity that everyone is searching for. Early this morning, a water crisis went into effect in my area, and the areas within a 60-mile radius south of my hometown. Due to the algae in the lake, people cannot shower, consume, or use the water in any way (which includes, but is not limited to cooking). I mean, I guess you could take the risk, and do what you want, but then you would have to endure a bout of diarrhea, vomiting, dizziness, abnormal liver function, nausea, and numbness.

I went to work today expecting it to be rather slow since it was raining pretty hard. But that definitely was not the case when I pulled up to my parking lot and saw 3 cars waiting for the store to open. My family owns a few small businesses, and today, the market was booming because of what we had to offer. I hadn't even opened the store fully before a line running out the door started forming at the cash register.

 Everyone scurried in a fast paced motion, getting water like their life depended on it! Some people complained about the prices of a case of water, but I am a convenience store, NOT a Walmart, so obviously water is going to be expensive! Even Walmart and Sam's Club went up in water! A few customers even came in and told me that the big bulk of water that is usually $21.00 at Sam's Club went up to $38.00 within the hour. I will admit, however, that that is a load of crock. I understand the concept of supply and demand, but a $17.00 price raise is just ridiculous!


Within the first 10 minutes of opening, all the water had been sold out. People have since been pooping their head in, and leaving disappointed when told their is no water available. All the water supplies have been wiped clean within a 80 mile radius. People were coming across the Michigan border to see if anyone would be willing to let them fill up their buckets with well water that many people possess in the country.

While I sat here waiting for the next customer to come in and ask if I had water, I thought of a few solutions and conspiracies behind this water crisis:


Solutions (No water? No Problem!):
  • We have ice! 
    • Ice is frozen water, so why not melt it down and drink up! It's sanitary and it will help quench that thirst!
  • It's raining! 
    • Get a bucket and put it out in your driveway! Fill up that bucket, boil that water, and then put it in the freezer to cool! Look, all you can drink water! Thanks mother nature :) 
  • Sugar free drinks! 
    • If you can't get your hands on water then go to your local store, and buy some sugar free drinks. It will keep you hydrated, and I'm sure they cost less than the water anyway!  

Conspiracies (What is really going on? Is it all a joke or is this a real life crisis?):
Warning: this is meant for people with a sense of humor :)
  • Water company upgrade?
    • My daddy says that this is probably the water company's way of trying to increase profit margins. He thinks that their sales have gone down so much that now they need a way to bring them back up. What's more convenient than a water crisis? 
  • A government takeover? 
    • A theory I thought about is maybe all of this is the government's way of decreasing the percent of people living in poverty in the Michigan/Ohio areas. How are homeless/poor people supposed to get their water if they can't afford it? I mean drinking the water could be fatal, so what would happen if all you had to drink was contaminated water? hmm...
  • A terrorist attack?
    • Momma came up with another interesting theory. Whether she was being serious or not, I don't know, but she stated that maybe terrorists contaminated the water. Sure it sounds a little bit far fetched, but aren't mothers supposed to always be right? 
There you have it folks, the ups and downs of a water crisis put into one beautifully wrapped package! What are your feelings on this problem?

~Alhana

Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water.
-Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

 photo sig_zpsekkwuhkv.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply