Big Learning on a Small Device

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Source

Greetings Comrades,
So today was one of those days where I woke up, and forgot to check my phone before getting out of bed! Now come on, if we were all being honest with ourselves, you know you would say you do the same thing. 

I have this daily routine when I wake up: I hear the alarm, roll over, slowly open my eyes, pet my dog, turn off the alarm, take the phone off the charger, and go through everything I missed during the night. I usually turn my phone off for the night so I will not be disturbed. I mean, come on, my beautiful looks can't always stay that way without a little bit of sleep! 

Well, I proceeded to do everything else in my morning routine, and didn't look at my phone until I got to work. Man oh man, sometimes I can't even keep up with all the social media, daily updates, text messages, and emails I get bombarded with throughout the day. 

As soon as I started looking at my phone I saw 10 new emails, 2 missed calls, 5 text messages, a few updates from apps like the weather, stocks, Snapchat, etc.

I looked through them all quickly, but then had to take my time with one of my all-time favorite apps: the Dictionary app. You're probably laughing at this new found piece of evidence that confirms my nerdness, but I don't really care. I LOVE everything about the dictionary app! I got it about a month ago when I saw my cousin going through it. I was looking at her with disdain on my face. I didn't really think that that app would be useful, but oh contraire! I have to say that I was wrong. But you shouldn't get used to it, because it is a rare occasion when I will admit it/am wrong. 

This app gives me day-to-day updates on new words I can add to my vocabulary, and if you know me, you would know that I am a huge English person; therefore, I absolutely adore learning new words that will confuse most of the human population. 

I can remember myself reading really hard books when I was in fourth grade, and either asking my mom what some words meant or getting myself a dictionary to learn them myself. Each time I learned something new, I would add it into my daily speech about 20 times a day (my brothers did NOT appreciate it at the time). 

This app gives me the best, most unusual words in the English language. Let's get a few examples going:

Equanimity: a mental or emotional stability or composure, especially under tension or strain; calmness, equilibrium.
  • My equanimity saved me from making a huge mistake in front of my boss, while I was being lectured. 
Klatsch: a casual gathering of people, especially for refreshments and informal conversation.
  • Ben went to the coffee shop for an afternoon klatsch with his friends. 
Camelopard: a giraffe
  • Melissa saw a camelopard gazing at the trees.

However, that is not the only benefit you get from this app. You can also sign up for mPoints that give you points when you complete challenges, look at the word of the day, visit daily, etc. Those points let you put your name in a sweepstakes of your choice. They pick from a drawing pool, and you win if you get picked. So far I have put my name in for a $100 Sephora Gift Card, a $100 Amazon Gift Card, and a $200 Walmart Gift Card. Each time you put your name in for the drawing it's 100 mPoints. I collected almost 1000 points before I started putting my name in for drawings. Also, each day you put your name in for a drawing, you can get this star that serves as a "hole-punch," and after 20 stars, you can get money towards your next purchase on Amazon! Trust me, this app has it all.

So, lesson of the day? You should really get this app, and educate yourself, because if you do, you can reward yourself both mentally and physically. I hope you have a great Sunday. Au Revoir! 

~Alhana 

The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil. It is not for you to choose what he shall know, what he shall do. It is chosen and foreordained and he only holds the key to his own secret. 
-Ralph Waldo Emerson 

 photo sig_zpsekkwuhkv.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply