- Sometimes I have my friends paint them (like the picture with the notes on them)
- Other times I have them professionally done (like the red and blue polished nails up above)
- Though, most of the time I do them myself
To be quite honest, I have an awful OCD about my nails when I decide to take care of them. One slight chip and the whole thing comes off! Then I start over again with a color that is usually a contrast to the previous one. Do you ever have those times where you get like that? I really hope it's not just me.
When I was younger, all I ever did was bite my nails, but then I started going to someone to do them for me and I had to stop. I didn't want to have my money go to waste! However, when I got into college, the inevitable happened--I became completely broke, and needed every penny for necessary everyday living. Therefore, I had to give up my luxurious life of nails.
Well, as you all know, college happens, and you start biting your nails again. For some reason, whenever I get stressed, I always bite my nails, even though it's a bad habit. I'm sure everyone has a bad habit they have a hard time stopping, right?
Although, when I learn to deal with my problems head on, I can usually stop in no time and get back to my skills as a painter! Well, a painter of my nails, that is (I can't really paint anything other then stick people). So, today I am going to show you how to do it all yourself!
I used to always paint my nails with just the polish, but I didn't know why it always chipped, why my nails felt so brittle, or why my cuticles got to be such a hassle. Eventually, though, I learned how to do it. As the years went on, from preteen, to teenager, to adulthood, I learned the tricks I needed to know, to make my nails look like they were professionally done.
Make sure you have the following: nail polish remover, cotton balls, nail clippers, nail filer, base coat, top coat, and nail polish.
![]() |
- I first start off by taking any leftover nail polish, and then wash my hands.
- I recommend using a remover where there is a sponge or hard bristle on the inside, (picture above) so all you have to do is stick your finger in the bottle and twist. All nail polish comes off, and it's very clean and easy. The leftover polish on skin, or on edges of nail can be removed with a cotton ball or Q-Tip.
- You then go about removing cuticles. I buy cuticle oil that helps me remove the cuticles, and softens the skin around my nails. It makes my fingers look really healthy too! I then take the nail clippers, and remove the cuticles, making sure not to cut up the skin.
- Next, I use the nail filer.
- Make sure to get the filer that has a harsh side and a softer side. I shape my nails with the harsh side, and then polish the top of my nails with the softer side. It will look baby soft and well manicured.
- Then you put the base coat on (the base and top coat keep nails from chipping, and make them stronger). Make sure to use nice even brush strokes. Start from the top of your finger to the tip. Make sure that it is not globby either, or else it will not even out. I usually press the brush lightly that way it thins out and it covers my nails easier. Wait about 5-10 minutes for them to dry.
- Then put on your first layer of polish. Put on the polish the same way you put on the base coat, that way you will have a nice, even coat (Any excess polish that gets on your fingers can be taken off with a dab of polish remover and a Q-Tip). Wait 10-15 minutes to dry. Repeat this process one more time to get a thicker coat, and wait another 15 minutes or dry enough to be able to lightly touch them.
- Finally, put on the top coat, and wait about an hour before you do anything.
- I usually wait about 90 minutes before I touch them, because then they are fully dried, and when you press hard on them, your fingerprint does not show up on the nail.
| Viola! Do-It-Yourself nails :) |
I know that other ways to do nails are just as efficient. What other tips are there to help make your nails look professionally done? I hope you enjoyed the quick tutorial! Have a great Monday :)
-Alhana

share this on » |
{Facebook} |
{Twitter} |
{Pinterest} |




Nice post!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! :)
ReplyDelete