One day is all it takes. It can be the start of a new beginning; the blossoming of a new flower; the day meant for exploration into a journey that has yet to be discovered.
A fear that I used to have was failing. I didn't want to be the one to try something out and have it go horribly wrong. I hated disappointing myself, as well as my friends and family. Every decision I made was calculated according to experiences I have witnessed from others, and if they had an awful outcome, I would not do it. However, I came to a realization that you can't just sit and wait for something to happen, you just have to do it.
My outlook on life was a lot different a few years ago. I was careful, and looked at the world as a place of torture. My experiences with life were not that of good ones. I witnessed so much bad that I forgot there was also good. I saw and/or felt the pain of death, heartbreak, anger, violence, and corruption. I saw a side of people that was terrible. The people I surrounded myself around had an attitude full of negative energy. Every time I was around them, I felt myself being sucked into a void of hopelessness that I just couldn't get out of, as hard as I tried. I wanted to help those people so bad, but when they told me their burdens, I didn't know how to cope very well. I knew that helping meant listening and giving helpful advice to people who had problems, and that's what I did, but every problem they had, made me feel like it was mine too.
Nevertheless, I got older, I became stronger, and I learned to cope with all sorts of problems. I started to learn that life is what you make it. Your attitude reflects your outlook on life. Each story that I was presented with was also a blessing in disguise. As I got older, I started to think back to the stories I had listened to, and incorporated them to my own life stories. The sadness and anger I felt growing up, made me the person I am today.
I can proudly say that I experience life to the fullest. I make decisions and take the chances I could not previously take. My approach on life, people, and the world shifted. I now look at the beauty that everything has to offer; I try not to take anything for granted. I now know how to help others with problems that will benefit them and myself in the long run.
The lesson that I have taken with me is that it's okay to feel sad and angry. It's part of what makes us grow, but it also should not keep us from taking a leap into the unknown. That leap may lead you to do something great in this world, that you would have not done if you would have stayed frightened of the possibility of something going wrong. I think my past has really shown me an important life lesson: to love and to be happy.
There will come a day where you will think to yourself: it is time for a change, and if it has not already happened, then my challenge to you is to take a leap of faith. Have faith that everything is going to work out. Have faith that the outcome of your exhausted state will change, and you will become someone who has a purpose in life. Your purpose is to be happy. Happiness is difficult to maintain. Life sometimes drags you down, and you are once again in a state of melancholy. However, just remember, even in the bad times, there is good. Look at the beauty surrounding you, whether it be nature, people, or yourself. When you take that beauty, and "put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day," for you will not know when you will need it. Those who utilize the chance at achieving their full potential will be the ones that remain happy, healthy, and centered.
Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present
-Jim Rohn
~Alhana