A few months ago I saw that my journal was at the end of its pages, and thought it time to get a new one. This time, I wanted a really old fashioned journal. I wanted one that was leather bound and had really thick paper. I wanted one that spoke to me when I touched its cover and smelled its paper; I just didn't know where to find one yet.
In November, my younger brother got me a feather fountain pen, with a couple bottles of ink; like those ones you see in a different era. I knew that that pen would go great with the right kind of paper, but I needed to learn how to write in a beautiful sort of way. I have always wanted to take a calligraphy class, but I just have never had the time. I thought it would be perfect to start teaching myself different writing techniques. Since, I started my last journal, I have only written in cursive, and my writing has improved tremendously. The slant of my letters look professional, and each word tends to speak to me in a different way.
Now, whenever I went into Barnes and Nobles, I would always look in the journal section, and try to find the perfect match for me. I spent months trying to pick out one that I wanted. I went to a few unique stores that sold only journals, but I never could find the "right" one. From December to June, I have been on the prowl, and I can finally say I have recently acquired the perfect fit! I went into Barnes and Nobles looking for a new book that I could read, and I naturally went over to the writing section. I looked through the journals, and came across one that was hidden in the back of the shelves. I picked it up and saw perfection. It was a simple journal, with very thick off-white pages. I knew that it was as good a time as any to buy it, and so I did.
However, I knew I was missing something, which was a pen. The feather pen my brother got me was not for this journal because the ink would smear, and it would take awhile to write, since I would have had to keep dipping the pen into the bottle. I went on another search for a new pen. I wandered into staples, and went to look at the ballpoint pens (I am very particular with what I write with). However, I glanced at a shelf of these beautiful pens that were locked in a display. I was transfixed by all the beautiful colors and types of pens in this glass case. I came across one in particular that caught my eye. It was a black and gold fountain pen. It was beautiful, but alas the price was $150. I knew that I would not be able to buy a pen that expensive. I looked at the prices of each one and saw that none were less than $30. I had never bought a pen that was over $5, so I was very hesitant to buy something this expensive. Just when I was about to pass over these magnificent pens, I saw a purple fountain pen that had caught my eye. It was sleek, and very beautiful. I asked a worker if they could take it out, so I could have a look at it. I fell in love with this one. I looked at the price and saw that it was $45. I was having a hard time deciding whether I should buy it or not, but I looked at my grocery list and saw at the very bottom that I had put "buy an awesome pen to go with my awesome journal," and so I made up my mind to invest in it.
I bought 2 packs of refills for the pen, and $60 later, I was on my way out of the store and into my car. I rushed home, because I could not wait to play with this little gadget. I took it out and placed the ink inside the pen, and let me tell you, it wrote fantastically. It glides on the paper like water glides down a stream. I can honestly say that this is one of the best investments I've made in awhile.
My lesson of the day is that if your heart is really into something, and you know it can be of use to you, then go for it. Buy what you want, no matter the price, because inspiration is priceless. I have found out that my paper and pen is all the inspiration I need to create, learn, and discover.
~Alhana
The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
-Amelia Earhart

share this on » |
{Facebook} |
{Twitter} |
{Pinterest} |


That journal is so cool. I love the tie! And the pen is awesome:) I have an obsession with pens lol!
ReplyDeleteMe too!!!! I love getting different kinds of pens whenever I see something that catches my eye lol
Delete