The Book Theory

Thursday, January 1, 2015

What is it about books that draw people in? It takes up so much time, and by the end, you don't really know what to do with it other than leave it on your bookshelf or return it to the library. Sure, it causes you pain and/or joy for a few hours, but then what? What makes someone pick up yet another bound set of pages to occupy yet another day in the already limited life one has?


Now if you are one of those people that get angry by questions such as mine, then you fully understand the hardship that someone of your stature has to deal with. If not, well then you must be one of the people asking these types of questions. Let me let you in on a little secret. The book lovers of my generation do not appreciate your negative questions. 

Ever since I was young I loved to read, and not just read books like Captain Underpants, but instead books that surpassed my third grade reading capabilities. At first, I didn't know what drew me to the pages that made up a story. Though as I have grown up, I have learned more and more about why the books are sacred and always in my life. Here is what I have learned:

  1. I absolutely hate when someone comes up to me and asks the above questions. Why, you ask? It is simply because I don't have to explain myself to someone as moronic as them. 
  2. I love the smell of books. Okay you caught me, I smell my books. I love opening the pages and getting a whiff of the clandestine story that awaits me. 
  3. I would rather have a productive afternoon with my nose in a book, rather than having my face plastered to the television. Let's get something straight, shows like "16 and Pregnant" are mind numbing and an unproductive way to spend your day anyways. When you read, your brain is actually working to analyze the words on the paper. It also helps your reading comprehension, vocabulary, etc. Don't get me wrong, movies and shows are great, but they pale in comparison to my beloved books. 
  4. I like looking at the books on my bookshelf. It reminds me of the worlds I have visited, and the stories that each left behind a memory that may or may not have made me into the person I am today.
  5. I HATE libraries. I hate the aspect of giving back my books. I would much rather buy them for myself. I love rereading my books, and I don't want to give the library something that I have already claimed is mine. I guess you could say I'm selfish that way.
  6. The "ebook" just doesn't cut it. I like having a solid book in my hand. Where I can smell the fresh paper, feel the course/smooth pages running across my fingertips, and look at the beautifully crafted material sitting in front of me. I don't like when my ebook does a "pretend" flip of the pages. I sometimes feel like I am cheating on the real thing when I open my nook.
  7. However, ebooks are cheaper a lot of the times, and they are a lot easier to carry. Thousands of books are at your fingertips wherever you go! BUT I don't care. Nothing can replace my precious stories. 
  8. Last but not least--I love living inside the pages of my books. I've really gotten out of "real world" type genres over the years, and instead have gotten into the fantasy books like Harry Potter. I mean who doesn't love that book?! I have read probably close to or even over 1000 books. I kid you not. When I was younger, I used to go into Barnes and Noble, (my favorite store) and come out with 10 books in my hand. I'm not even exaggerating; you can ask my mother. I have not once walked out of that amazing store with only one book in my hand. It's usually an all or nothing type of deal. 
I love the thrill each new book gives me. It lets me escape from my mundane life, and allows me cross over into a world that is unforeseen. I have this eternal thirst for stories that are not my own. It doesn't matter how hard I try, I have not and don't think I will ever be able to quench it. I mean, if you think about it, it could be worse. The only thing this addiction does is burn a hole in my wallet, but isn't the point of life to be happy anyways?


~Alhana 

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
-Dr. Seuss

 photo sig_zpsekkwuhkv.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply